Purpose

Material Witness will focus on extreme textile process. Images will be posted here showing the history of my work, new work, developing projects and inspiration.

Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Cell Patterns

Silk rayon velvet devore - natural dyes. Patricia Chauncey 1996


This is a silk rayon devore scarf I made years ago. I was trying to combine cellular imagery with the rhythms of dream time painting from the aboriginal people of Australia. Didn't get close to the intensity and meaning of that work, of course. I wasn't trying to appropriate but to understand.

The cloth was the first complex cloth I attempted. The velvet was dyed, printed, devored, discharged, printed, dyed, printed, discharged and stitched. Dyes included plain tree leaves, onion skin, rust, indigo, tannic acid and Oregon soil I think.

The colour has held up pretty well for something made and worn for a dozen years.

No comments: