Purpose

Material Witness will focus on extreme textile process. Images will be posted here showing the history of my work, new work, developing projects and inspiration.

Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Responsibility for Beauty

I attended the Surface Design Meeting last night and got to look at the travelling samples from the SDA library. There are dozens of them and they are all different. Each one was made by a different member of the Surface Design Association from around the world.

I left the meeting with all of the samples and will be bringing them to the VGFA meeting at Aberthau tomorrow evening.

They are worth pouring through to see so many different combinations of techniques.
I pulled a few favourites out and they turned out to have been made by people I know!
Yvonne Wayakubayashi, Jessica De haas each had a gorgeous sample of their techniques.

They will come with me to the meeting tomorrow and I will take them home again to be mailed on to the next location. I feel like I get to touch the hand of each of the makers.

2 comments:

arlee said...

Oh i envy you that experience....i'd have to be given a bib though--or do you think the drool on them would mean i could keep them? :}

material witness said...

Some of them are very droolable
but many are just a survey of techniques. Your work would hold it's own in the box.

But then there are those samples welded with ultra sonic machines and felted, woven and printed.