Purpose

Material Witness will focus on extreme textile process. Images will be posted here showing the history of my work, new work, developing projects and inspiration.

Friday, October 31, 2008

Light Saber

Halloween is one of my favourite celebrations. It is fun and always inspiring.

I didn't dress up this year but was deluged with children from the Native Co-op up the street in full costume. They were excited and delighted with the energy on the street. More children at the door than I have seen in years. Older children than I have seen not worried about whether they were too cool to costume.

I dressed up my stairway with my latex mask collection, lights and leaves. Tim carved a version of Munch's "Scream" for our pumpkin and proceeded to scare every child half to death with his exuberance. Children kept streaming in past 9:30 p.m. This means our neighbourhood is becoming more trusting again!

Last year a group of adults grabbed a bus, assaulted the driver and burned it to the ground. I think that was a real turning point and we have all seemed to make a greater effort to be more aware.

I spoke with my oldest son in Winnipeg tonight. He was walking down the street and was light saber assaulted by a three foot high boy dressed in a Darth Vader costume. The child yelled three times. "I am your father Luke, I am your father!" This would have been funny considering that Dane is 6'6" tall. It was even funnier because he was talking to me on the phone when it happened. I had to remind him that he spent the first 12 years of his life as "Luke Skywalker" and the guy was truly his father. He thanked the kid for being his Dad! Awww!

No comments: