Purpose

Material Witness will focus on extreme textile process. Images will be posted here showing the history of my work, new work, developing projects and inspiration.

Monday, January 29, 2007

Object of Affection

Object of Affection #1 (2005) Patricia Chauncey
I have been working on a series of complex textile pieces. The work has been slowly produced during the last two years and was the first time I worked with a writer and another textile artist. Both are younger men and this presented a whole range of challenges I wasn't expecting.
The work was done while I was recovering from treatment for metastatic breast cancer and has allowed me to explore issues around life, death, continuation, pain and the erotic.

The textile artist is a young man who has a similar health challenges to my own. He is HIV positive and is studying textiles and making work related to his life and the life of his gay community. His positive and enthusiastic nature have delighted me constantly and have allowed me to consider what can come from deciding to live and become immersed in creative process. He came with an amazing mother and wonderful friends. He has moved away now to study at the other side of this country and left me lovely bones to care for until he returns.

The other is a writer who has served as my muse, model researcher, travelling companion and dear friend. He arrived at the darkest time for me and pulled me from the depths of discouragement and pain. His presense allowed me to consider other parts of my long journey with this illness and not just fall into the hokey, positive , sticky pink world that women are expected to live in when they have this disease. He challenged me to look at the darker sides and explore more fully hidden aspects of myself and those I love. We parted a few times during this journey because it was hard and confusing and have returned to our own lives.

Both arrived when I really needed to start looking outside of my family for what had happened to the world when I was struggling for air. I love both for generosity that made me beleive again that the larger world was an inspiring and wonderful place.

No comments: