Purpose

Material Witness will focus on extreme textile process. Images will be posted here showing the history of my work, new work, developing projects and inspiration.

Friday, February 2, 2007

Body Worlds


A few weeks ago I saw the Science World Art Exhibition "Body Worlds". It is a collection of human and mammal bodies that have been plastinated to preserve their form.I have always been attracted to the visceral and anything of the body for inspiration in my work but I was overwhelmed.

I entered a darkened chamber with many other people and was confronted by the bones and bodies immediately. Most of the bodies had a serious injury or disease. Some of the bodies were posed in action positions like skate boarding. One plastinate had his muscles pulled out like the wings of an angel or strange bird. Tiny fetuses which had not survived were preserved in bottles. All displayed for my education or amusement. All allowing me to view the texture of their tissues, bones and some of their personal histories.

We all trudged through the exibit slowly grasping what was before us. Little children with roller skates on their runners interrrupted the rhythm of the lines. Mothers called to offspring and babies and small children cried with impatience. The temperature of the room was hot and sticky from the rain dampened apparrel worn by most. And the bodies held their gruesome posts. The living each peered into glass cases to be confronted by the beauty and ugliness of our mechanics and mortality. It was easier for me to look at the lamb and chicken plastinates that had blood vessels preserved. No skin or bones only matts of blood vessels in the remaining shape of the animals.

I had to sit down when I was confronted by a disembodied breast that was full of cancer similar to what had been my own. I wondered if it was floating out there or in a glass case or bottle for the inspiration of others. Who lost this breast? Did she also lose her life? Where did mine go?
I got up and tried to find my husband. I ended up standing beside a plastinated man whose skin had been removed like a pair of old pantyhose. There he was in all his human glory, holding his skin like a disrobed exhibitionist. I stared him down and chuckled about life.I am here and he is not and we will both end up as a pile of bones and flesh no matter how well preserved.

I take inspiration from this exhibition and have considered the colours and form for exploration. I will make new body parts from my own materials. I will display them in bottles and glass cases like I did in my Material Witness show at Wall Gallery in 2001. But they won't come close to the perfection we all are.

The information about Body Worlds 3 is available at www. bodyworlds.com. It is now showing in Dallas.

No comments: