Purpose

Material Witness will focus on extreme textile process. Images will be posted here showing the history of my work, new work, developing projects and inspiration.

Sunday, November 22, 2009

Crawling 2009

I spent most of yesterday roaming around the East End of Vancouver peering in artists studios. It is the annual East Side Culture Crawl. I usually participate as an artist and don't have a chance to see what other people are making. Lucky me.

As usual, there were lots of artists whose work was very much expected. Not terribly innovative or original. Seeing efforts and volume was impressive but some people seem to use this as a craft fair and just pump out product.

There were some amazing exceptions , of course, like Bridget Catchpole, an amazing jeweler from the Parker Street Studios and Wendy Berry, the ceramicist from the Mergatroid Building.

I complimented Bridget Catchpole on her work after being introduced to her by Vivian Bauman, my Crawl buddy. She remembered my work from last year and offered to trade. We also decided she was a definate option for the "Creative Cluster" that Vivian wants to organize.

Wendy Berry is a wonderful ceramics artist who is in the Margatroid Building. It turns out she teaches some courses at Emily Carr. Her explorations with texture are exciting and her explorations of form even more. She is very elusive with her explanations of her work but confessed that she is " very captured" and has to keep making her little beings. Like me.

I love the Crawl because it always brings me new ideas to explore and new people to play with.

2 comments:

Marchi Wierson said...

Really enjoyed looking at bridgets work. thanks!

material witness said...

I was so thrilled with Brigit's work. I can't wait to get to play with her! Did you come up for the Crawl alone? I missed lots of wonderful people this year.