Purpose

Material Witness will focus on extreme textile process. Images will be posted here showing the history of my work, new work, developing projects and inspiration.

Saturday, December 8, 2012

Alone

Rust and texture samples with wasp hive  Patricia Chauncey  photo Christine Hatfull
Dreamed last night of Afghanistan. Cliffs and rocky landforms were defined by a soft, snow covering.
Under the snow were bubbled and dimpled bio-luminescent creatures. Soft and amorphous but oozing  slowly through the land. I needed to get to a community celebration but was not sure how to pass through the vulnerable environment.

I knew that no one I knew or cared for was anywhere near.

When I walked the ground cleared as I stepped. It didn't matter how thick the creatures and snow were. I looked behind me and the snow and creatures again engulfed where I had just been. The question was am I  passing through or am I being consumed. 

The further I walked the more it became clear that I was alone and there really wasn't anywhere to go.
I looked down and saw a single glowing creature left behind by the rest. I reached to touch it . The warmth of my hand caused it to divide.

No comments: