Purpose

Material Witness will focus on extreme textile process. Images will be posted here showing the history of my work, new work, developing projects and inspiration.

Tuesday, June 5, 2007

Pupae


I am exploring the vast array of shapes and forms that pupae come in.
The strange garden I have been working on is starting to fill out.

So far I have made about thirty little silicone globes covered with sand, 20 cast wax mache scrotum like forms stitched with tiny hairs and holes burnt in, 12 paper egg shapes that are painted , dyed, burnt and rusted each with a dimensional cell-like corset, 2 hives, 10 burnt and formed polyester pupae with removable butterflys.

I have also made freeform felted and stitched pupae from lamb's batt.

Ryan and I have been exploring sounds for each creature case and Tim is building me a large "growing chamber". I am trying to get this done for the "Culture Crawl".

In the meantime Adonna's class have been growing butterflies and have saved the pupae that haven't hatched and leftovers from those that have. Silk cocoons have been promised and my research into mummies and cocoons has taken a new interest.

My studio is starting to look a bit creepy. Better outside than in!

No comments: