Purpose

Material Witness will focus on extreme textile process. Images will be posted here showing the history of my work, new work, developing projects and inspiration.

Friday, July 13, 2007

Double Trouble!


Hilary dragged me out to a lecture given by the English embroidery masters, LittleJohn and Beeney. She was unfamiliar with them but I have been waiting to meet them for years.

The talk was given at Emily Carr College of Art and Design. This was one of the first times an embroiderer has been recognized by the school in my memory. No shock though as these two have been at the edges of embroidery since the early sixties and have pushed the boundary of textile possibilities.

They work and travel together as a team but create seperate works. They share writing , teaching and lecturing. They are even capable of sharing a stage with fairness.

What I loved was their generosity in sharing techniques and samples. They brought extraordinary sketch books and samples for each work. They both work very compulsively on shared themes with completely different results.

Once again I am shown that diligence pays off with an extraordinary body of work.

No comments: