Purpose

Material Witness will focus on extreme textile process. Images will be posted here showing the history of my work, new work, developing projects and inspiration.

Saturday, February 9, 2008

Embellisher

Jean Littlejohn Embellish in 3-D

The new baby lock embellisher arrived today just before noon.
It was purchased at Mason's in Vancouver and it was on sale.

The unit is light weight and easy to set up. The manuals are easy to read and there is technical support at the store. Little tools came with the embellisher and so did extra needles.

The needles are very expensive and will have to be treated properly. The unit is set up to take ten needles at a time and has needle protection right on the machine. The tricky thing is to remember to put the needles in the up position before pulling the fabric out.

How cool is a machine that can create cloth out of scraps, can bond one fabric to the other and can make felt out of fleece?

Today was spent setting up and sampling. It works on natural fleeces and denim. The backs of the cloth created are sometimes more interesting than the fronts. Making dry felt from the embellisher takes just about as much time as hand felting and not nearly as much effort as needle felting.

Clearly the combinations of embellisher and embroidery, hand felting and machine stitching are going to occupy me while I am waiting to hear results from my other research. Good thing I can only work for about an hour at a time on it.

Making small globes for Numen and designing new work on the embellisher. I love new toys !

I blame the talk I went to with Jean Littlejohn for this new fascination and expenditure. I watched a great DVD with her work from 2006.

Check out www.odysseyartvideos.com

5 comments:

arlee said...

OH you lucky lucky girl! I'm still savin' muh pennies, trying to justify NEEDING one :}

material witness said...

What ever you have to do!
Collect pop bottles. stop smoking , stop eating! Sell the children!

They are on sale right now.
They are a necessity not a luxury!

In your hands? Who knows what magic might happen?

Kit Harras said...

You have fun ahead of you. I have been working with one for over a year doing fabric punching in addition to fiber & leather. It can produce some really amazing things.

material witness said...

I had fun all day!

Old silks dyed with rust and natural minerals became ancient and smock like dainties. Poly took on a whole new being while layered and messed with.

Leather?

I work with leather and gut. I can't imagine the gut will survive but embellished additions take on a whole new meaning.

Your site is lovely Kit.

Kit Harras said...

Thanks!
You might try tryourdesigns.com for extra needles, especially if you are going to work with unusual material. I have used her star shaped ones for my suede work.

Punch everything & save the samples. I sometimes embed them into more pieces for layers. Nothing in my house that can be pierced by a needle is safe from testing on my Embellisher.

Try wrapping the gut with a punchable fiber & then gently try punching that package to a base material or netting. Think multidimensional as you build. Enjoy.