Purpose

Material Witness will focus on extreme textile process. Images will be posted here showing the history of my work, new work, developing projects and inspiration.

Monday, May 28, 2007

Family Ties

Today I find out about my pathology reports and get my stitches checked.

My family showed up in droves in the last few days. My Aunty and Uncle drove in from Torrington. Bri and Suzi came from LaCombe. My baby brother from Mission and Keri and her new baby drove in from Abbotsford. Even Ryan and the band showed up. There are people cuddld up and sleeping on the floor and couches. Babies are being changed. People are cooking, fussing and singing. No one is ever quiet. Comments both snarky and sweet are being tosswed out. We are squished in this little house like bugs. It feels so natural and comfortable.

What it is like to be from a small family?

I used to wish to be an only child like my mother was. I'd try to find quiet places to hide and plug my ears and pretend I was alone. Hiding under tables and beds worked for awhile. I'd disappear them and create tragedy to survive...alone!

Now that doesn't make any sense. Sometimes dealing with cancer means loneliness as the world carries on and you try to grab on somewhere. I need my cave full of these people right now. I love to hear them breathing and tossing around in their sleep. Even the growls work for me.

I need to touch thier stones.

No comments: