Purpose

Material Witness will focus on extreme textile process. Images will be posted here showing the history of my work, new work, developing projects and inspiration.

Wednesday, May 9, 2007

Genetic Affection

I wonder if like genetic memory there is something like genetic affection.

I have just returned from my trip to France and Great Britain. Fangfoss, near York, had been one of my destinations because of an ancestral home that was there. I walked on the grounds and touched the walls of Fangfoss Hall and felt at home. Some relative had built the home many generations before. This touch on walls that mine have built allows my imagination to scrutinize other times and experiences. Just a persistant quirk.

There was no preparation, however, for the affection felt for those encountered. Such strong stabs of feeling. Hoards of little children poured out of the Fangfoss School. So many of them looked almost identical to my white, blonde babies. What was so eerie was that the children came in all sizes. Tiny to tall! A swarm of genetically recognizable Viking offspring. Eyes of melted river ice like my father had. We drove away to the overwhelming recognition of abandoning a genetic tribe. Comparable to leaving a body part behind.

I stood in a field nearby and was swarmed again by thirty tiny spring lambs. Mewing little babies. Seeking something from me that I couldn't give. This identical experience happened once with my great grandmother when I was small. She said it meant that I was born to be a shepard and that lambs knew that. Generations of us have kept sheep and have created cloth from the wool.

Maybe just a genetic memory of shepard for the lambs?
Probably just genetic affection if there is such a thing! The lambs of Fangfoss just visiting the offspring of the former owner.

No comments: