Purpose

Material Witness will focus on extreme textile process. Images will be posted here showing the history of my work, new work, developing projects and inspiration.

Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Dream Containers

Chrysalids Patricia Chauncey
Family Patricia Chauncey

Burnt Globes Patricia Chauncey


Moon Snail Remains Patricia Chauncey



Small Burnt Globes Patricia Chauncey




Dreams are so vivid for me during snowfall. I curl up and sleep really soundly for hours and dream about things that are amazing to me.

I got up early this morning and padded around long enough to say good-bye to Tim and have some power porridge. I felt cold and decided to climb back into my cozy nest and try to warm up.

Konk....I was out like a light until 11:00. In full hibernation!

My reward for this sloth was a seires of dreams that will now move to my work this week!

I dreamt that the radiation pin that is stuck in my chest wall in real life had become dislodged enough for me to pull it out of my body. I could feel both ends of it and pushed the sharp end through the skin. The pin looked like a large darning needle that was covered in cellular material. I knew it was the last of my cancer!

I was so upset. I really wanted to have people witness the injustice and violation that the medical accident had caused me and to have proof of the pain I had lived with since the accident. I was showing everyone and felt I needed to go home.

Home at the end of a path to a forested acerage. There were post boxes near the entrance of the roadway. A young man was standing there looking into a collection of fish bowls containing plain dirt and insects. He was intense but wanted to share the science of it.

The young man turned out to be the young brother of my former lover John. I have not seen him in many years. I was stunned by his beauty and appeal to me but was more interested in the jars.

The young man pulled me to the jars and showed me what was happening in each one. He was affectionate and soft. I responded to his affection and looked carefully into the bottles.

The first bottle held small beetle insects that were crawling slowly on the ground. They shot
a waxy material from their mouths and made a series of branch objects. They worked together. Then a webby substance shot from their abdomens that looked like dandelion fluff. It was wrapped around the foundations to form little white and dandelion fluffy tiny trees. Together they moved the trees to the edges of the glass. climbed them and scurried out of the glass jar.

The second jar had more worm or caterpiller insects. They started digging little holes everywhere and I couldn't figure out if they formed a pattern or if they were just burrowing.
They worm creatures each climbed into a hole and shot something sticky from it's end to create a cap over the holes. The insects glowed in the dark in the holes and pulsed at different intensity. The caps made them look like little signal lights.

The third jar was far more frenetic. Long legged ant insects were scurrying everywhere. They formed into platoon like formations and marched head long into one another. They turned and did it again and again and it became clear that they were trailing a spider webby material from their bodies. This was making the foundation of a cloth. Each one took a place on the cloth and the new substance shot out of their mouths. It formed pointed ends on two ends top and bottom and the insect was covered. The foundation quivered and stood up. Each insect was hanging by a little attachment and was left quivering and blowing in the wind. The mass formed a cloth that looked beaded by the tiny leaf shaped cocoons.

I felt breathless and looked at the young man who gazed at me with wonder. I felt that distance was needed and I took one of the young women ,who was an onlooker, and placed her beside him. I knew I didn't want him but needed him to feel cared for because he had shown me something wonderful.

No comments: