Purpose

Material Witness will focus on extreme textile process. Images will be posted here showing the history of my work, new work, developing projects and inspiration.

Thursday, January 24, 2008

Photographs

Hanging Nightgown Lilo Raymond photograph

Christine Hatfull has spent the last few days pulling together some photographs of a few of my textiles. I gave her a box of stuff to play with and she has taken every advantage.

Today she showed me photographs of some of the more translucent textiles that have been thrown in the air in front of her huge 10 foot windows and left to float to the floor. Some of them look like jelly fish or spiders floating on clouds. Some are like octopus left swimming in the air.
All tentacles without bodies.

One of my skins has literally crawled out of the camera and slithered right in my face.

Some have just turned into ethereal beings left in the wrong space and time to make me lonely for what it is they once were without recognizing what that is.

Tomorrow I'll be able to post some of them.

She also showed me the book "Revealing Light" given to her by the photographer Lilo Raymond.
I have seen some of Lilo Raymonds work before. She has the most delicate sensibility when it comes to thinking about textiles and capturing the inner light when it comes to translucency.

Capturing translucency is one of the hardest things to do. It ends up looking like a smoky blur if the photographer doesn't feel it or it comes out brittle and plastic looking. It really is a matter of capturing the light creature.

No comments: