Purpose

Material Witness will focus on extreme textile process. Images will be posted here showing the history of my work, new work, developing projects and inspiration.

Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Mendings and Lizard Skin.

Lizards of New York Photo Brendan Hurley 2006

Well I am finally on the mend. I can now breathe without assistance and my medication is working. It has been a hellish two weeks.


I met with Fariba in the studio today and as always had the most inspiring time. She was a mad woman with the heat press and dye bottles. She splashed and spluttered and made me laugh all day. I grabbed every leftover dye sheet she dropped behind and started texturing it with soft LERA pencils. Tomorrow I will silkscreen them with lizard scale patterns and sew them up.


We experimented with transfer dye sheets, heat and the silk paper I made before the holidays.

I mostly used the leftover cover papers and they ended up being the most copper verdi-gris patinaed things you have ever seen. I pressed a few metallics into the lick and will sew them with baltic blues and neon greens tomorrow. I think some palette experiments are in order.

Must be the over the top influence of Arlee Barr.


I met with Katherine McManus last night for supper and we came up with our strategy as VGFA to include a larger membership. We met with the Britannia Arts and Culture Committee and had a very productive meeting regarding the VGFA outreach possibilities. Haruko Okana has suggested a meeting to pull together some plans and look at some shared programs and other possibilities.


I feel like I am back in the saddle. I need to be because I have a contract for twenty or more new small works. The smaller works are selling at Numen. They are fun to make and don't bore me at all. It is rather like laying a collection of small eggs.

1 comment:

arlee said...

I would really like to see those papers and stitchings!!!