Purpose

Material Witness will focus on extreme textile process. Images will be posted here showing the history of my work, new work, developing projects and inspiration.

Friday, April 18, 2008

Getting On With Things

Antique Singer treadle sewing machine or child's rocking toy.

Tim and I are in the process of making some fairly large changes in our life together. He is leaving a job that he has really loved for the past 14 years. He has nursed me through cancer and accepted the responsibility for much of my half of our life together for a long time now.
He is really tired and wants to make a change. I wonder what life will be like cut away from financial security. Not that we aren't fine.

Change is hard to watch because it isn't easy and because we want to protect people we love from the pain of it. But change comes whether we want it or not.

Our youngest child qualified for his Master's degree this week. He didn't just qualify. He did exceptionally well. Now he is grown and fully prepared for his life. He has a partner who loves and supports him. He does the same for her.

Yesterday, youngest son and partner were walking in the back alley and found a treadle from an antique Singer sewing machine. It is identical to my grandmother's sewing machine. I spent many hours walking the thing up and down as a child and even sat on it for a little ride. It was the best rocking chair ever. I think I will use it for the movement in a kinetic sculpture. Much more exciting and interactive than electic or gas powered movement.

Today I will design for large format patterns. I have a few days left using a large format printer and I want to try pattern making for my body bags now that the materials are sorted out.

I got a cheque from one of my galleries. I love making money from my art. Enough to go make more.

No word from Lyn or Norman yet. I feel like I need to do more.

The Victorian underwear was a smash hit and will be displayed on my niece this weekend.
She promises lots of pictures. They really looked lovely when all together. I still can't believe how much hand stitching was required or how big the bottom on the authentic bloomers really was. Such an extreme of feminine form. So comfortable without the corset. She, of course, is wearing the corset and is grateful for the extra layers because the Quilchena is cold this weekend.

No comments: