Purpose

Material Witness will focus on extreme textile process. Images will be posted here showing the history of my work, new work, developing projects and inspiration.

Thursday, April 10, 2008

A Little Dance

Drawing of a crinoline from the 1890's
The weather is just beautiful today. Sun everywhere and the overwhelming stench of cherry blossoms and bulby flowers. The sun invaded every corner of my studio. I just couldn't hide from it or even try to be gloomy.

Tim came from work and dragged me out for lunch and threw me into the car and dragged me in the door of William Street. So I worked for hours on the crinoline and figured out how to sew it with less pain. It is simply a matter of draping the yards of crinoline over my shoulder and feeding it through. The pattern is now modified to my liking and the cover will stay flat and well behaved over the crinoline. The ruffles are now becoming a matter of habit. I found my large cutting board and it works just fine. The hand stitching became a real pleasure as things progressed and give the crinoline cover a much more authentic finish than the pattern suggested. The pattern has almost been thrown away and is being used more like a sketch.

I saw a crinoline in a vintage store this weekend and have copied the way the crinoline net was covered at the hems. Thin bindings will really make it strong and easier to sew. I made them from the eyelet yardage used for the crinoline cover.

So tonight's venture into hand stitching attaches my needle stitched edging and finishes the crinoline cover. The crinoline will be finished in about two hours tomorrow and the bloomers should take another three hours. I will be able to ship by Saturday I hope.

2 comments:

arlee said...

Often the patterns are just ridiculous! Looks great from the sketch.
I've nominated you for an Arte Y Pico Award because you inspire and amze me--you are not obligated to respond, but i feel you deserve it immensely.

material witness said...

Wow Arlee.
Thank you so much!
What is the Arte Y Pico Award?