Purpose

Material Witness will focus on extreme textile process. Images will be posted here showing the history of my work, new work, developing projects and inspiration.

Thursday, March 29, 2007

Barney Nichols will now become someone I remember.

He has been my friend for more than 20 years. He died quietly in his sleep yesterday curled up under his quilt. His house was orderly and he had a glass of water before he climbed into bed.

My other old friend Peter Lowery found him after he didn't show up at a brunch they had planned. Barney was always on time.

I loved Barney. He looked like Michael Caine and spent years married to my friend Lou Lou. He could wash socks cleaner than anyone I ever met.
He knew everything about cleaning textiles and always gleamed with cleanliness.

He taught my son to wait on tables, full French service, when Bren was 3 years old. Bren walked around with a napkin on his arm for years. He also imitated Barney's precise Anglo-Montreal way of speaking. He knew Barney had class.

Barney had a deep drum of a voice that put shivers down my back in that good way. He was Irish Montreal and he could drink beer most properly.
He made everything just a little more fun .

When I got so sick I ran into Barney on Commercial Drive when I was going for a kill cancer walk. I was hairless, puffy and breathless.
He saw me and collapsed in tears. He shifted from foot to foot and finally just hugged me. A big fearless Barney hug.

That's what I'll miss the most.

No comments: