Purpose

Material Witness will focus on extreme textile process. Images will be posted here showing the history of my work, new work, developing projects and inspiration.

Sunday, March 25, 2007

Squiggly Wiggly Hats


Ana Voog makes hats I'd like to wear to a parent teacher's meeting.

The hats are made with crocheting run amuck. The colours are everywhere and so are the constructions. They have little octopus like suckers and horns and stamens and everything fetid that I can think of mashed into a hat. They are ovulation run wild!

I would love to have a grumpy science teacher just try to explain any of my creative children's inadequacies while I face them. I think I would like to hum and twiddle my thumbs and watch the teacher very carefully for an understanding that other things are important to me.

Despite dire warnings my children have thrived. But I wish I'd worn a hat like this.

I was taught to crochet succesfully after many failed attempts by a lovely young woman who had "Downs Syndrome". She told me I had to try and stop thinking like a "normal person" and just relax. She also told me that if I couldn't do it the way they showed me maybe I could do it her way. I think we might both crochet backwards but we both crochet all the time.
She crocheted "pieces of cloth" for her mom. Sometimes they were big and sometimes they were little. Me too!

Neither one of us crocheted as much as Ana Voog. Maybe nobody has!

No comments: