Purpose

Material Witness will focus on extreme textile process. Images will be posted here showing the history of my work, new work, developing projects and inspiration.

Tuesday, March 20, 2007

Lichens

Lichens 2007 Jane Kenyon Machine Embroidery

I have just had a chance to look at some of the new work Jane Kenyon has done for her show at 13 Moons Gallery in Santa Fe, New Mexico . It is a new direction for her. The imagery is even more challenging and the stitching is dense and purposeful.

Jane Kenyon is one of my favourite embroiderers. She is the personification of work ethic. Her labour and sheer determination are the reason we are gifted with the beauty she creates. She really studies colour and works so very carefully with the imagery she chooses.

I remember my first introduction to Jane when I was at Capilano College. She was showing students her painted warp weavings which were beautiful. She had just finished her City and Guilds embroidery courses and was already showing remarkable work.

Now that work has just got better and better and her direction is so very clear. Her new lichen embroideries are gorgeous. Her palette is becoming so subtle and earthy. Her topics are so full of environmental conversations.

It is such a wonderful pleasure to have Jane floating in the same circles that I do. I am happy to know her and work on some of the same projects.
But I always feel like such a lazy artist when I do.

No comments: