Purpose

Material Witness will focus on extreme textile process. Images will be posted here showing the history of my work, new work, developing projects and inspiration.

Thursday, March 15, 2007

Imagining Spaces

I have decided to become more optomistic and hopeful regarding where and how I work. There are people all over this little world who are able to create even without a designated space.

I think it may be selfish to hoard space just for art making. Today I went for a walk and Ben, a homeless man in my neighbourhood, was busy making a chalk drawing on the sidewalk. He was taken away with the delight of mess making and the images coming from him. I just watched and decided not to become a trauma victim even if I lose my studio.

I remember Yvonne Wakabayashi, the incredible shibori artist and teacher, showing me beautiful pictures of textile masters throughout Japan creating in the most tiny and organized spaces. Charlotte Kwan, the MAIWA founder, told me that when she went to Behar in India after the terrible earthquake, the artists where managing to work in the streets and requested supplies to be able to continue to rebuild their lives. I have worked tiny in the past with far fewer challenges and can always do it again.

I have also run into artists like Abigail Doan and others who are very carefully considering environmental concerns regarding work and space.

I think that designated working spaces for arists should always be shared and always try to do that with the places I have been lucky enough to have.

Don't get me wrong. Artists do need places to work. Perhaps there are other ways to think about doing this.

Any ideas?

No comments: