Purpose

Material Witness will focus on extreme textile process. Images will be posted here showing the history of my work, new work, developing projects and inspiration.

Friday, March 23, 2007

Not Studioless Yet!

Jeina e-mailed me to let me know that the initial application process for our studio business permits should take a few months. Each one of us at William's Street Studios will have our spaces "inspected" by the city and then after a time will have to go through a building permit application.

This is causing less panic for Jay and I but she is leaving for Guatemala in a few days and I am leaving for Europe next month. Hilary and Adonna will be using the studio when we are gone and will be given instructions on who to call to get packed up and move.

This has prompted lots of discussion on working art spaces. It started with panic and then Abigail Doan sent me some wonderful information regarding using alternate spaces,freespacing and municipal space sharing ideas. She introduced me to Austin Thomas whose philosophy is to usurp public "freespace" for art makers using spaces like laundry rooms, atriums, hallways and other non standard public zones for art places. Check out her blog at http://atfreespace.blogspot.com/. Abigail reminded me that with a little thought and community that creative people can find solutions. For example the Lower Manhattan Cultural Council at http://www.Imcc.net made arrangements with buildings and realtors to identify spaces in the urban areas not being used at all or that have been vacant for long periods of time. They partner with these owners and create artists residences/ studio workspaces.

The result of this is that I have really been considering how and where I do my work.

Currently I work in an old industrial building that was used for clothing manufacturing. It has huge windows and 20 foot ceilings. It is on a busy street and close to transportation. The best sushi guy in the city is just down the road and there are hundreds of artists within a stone's throw of the studio. I can walk there from my house. The artists in the building are civilized and considerate. It has 3 clean bathrooms and a little shared kitchen and a lounge. I like it because I have 24 hour access and have worked in there until dawn.

No comments: