Purpose

Material Witness will focus on extreme textile process. Images will be posted here showing the history of my work, new work, developing projects and inspiration.

Thursday, March 22, 2007

Turkish Shawls, Tandori, and Beer

Grotesquetory at the Cobalt

I had my birthday yesterday and it was lovely if for no other reason than I got to have another one.

I was spoiled rotten and my sweetie pie brought my mother and youngest son out with me for the most luxurious Indian dinner at Palki's in North Vancouver. We ate coconut shrimp, gobi aloo, tandori lamb and butter chicken with the biggest, most delicious garlic naan and pakoras. All topped up with Indian beer. Ahhhhh!

I waddled back to the truck clutching my very full belly and was gifted with organic garden seeds, a beautiful woven shawl my mother brought me from Turkey, an inspiring book from Nick Bantock from my son and a collection of the Dropped Threads essays from my sweetie.

When we arrived home there were lots of calls from my musically challenged friends and family, singing one by one, that birthday song that has no real tune. Karen sent me a hilarious collections of photo booth photographs from my 14th year. It shows a collection of "little angels" doing naughty things in a very small space. Lorilee, Jacqueline. Karen looking so naughty and me looking truly prim. No wonder I never got blamed for the escapades I planned.

And my vacation time has been confirmed for my trip to Europe. So I will be hitting as many flea markets, textile galleries, fabric and embroidery stores as possible. Wahoo!

Best yet...Keri Ann is now going into labour and I will be gifted with another little boy relative by the weekend. All this crocheting will keep a little someone warm. Once again I become Aunty Cousin Patsy to another little person.

Tomorrow Nephew Cousin Ryan Batten from the death metal band "Grotesquetory" is doing laundry here and serenading me with the "sweet trills" of his Tibetan chant-like songs. They really are so cute at this age.

I am so very thankful for all this extra time. I felt very well all day and plan to until my next birthday.

No comments: