Purpose

Material Witness will focus on extreme textile process. Images will be posted here showing the history of my work, new work, developing projects and inspiration.

Saturday, June 14, 2008

Sampling

Joseph and I spent a very useful day in the William Street Studio yesterday. He helped me warp up my loom! I haven't woven anything for at least ten years except for a few little embellishments. Everything is warped up now in a lovely acid green.

It is something that came back to me in a rush. Hands obviously develop memory!

It was a stealthy pleasure watching Joseph handle the looms and the yarns so capably. He fell into his natural rythym and lost himself in the tasks. He also taught me as he went along in his quiet and thoughtful way. He has also produced very fine little swatches of lambs wool felts made with the Embellisher.

Young was not able to come yesterday because she had two job interviews. She did, however, leave a little bag of extremely exciting samples. She took home some of the silk rovings and yarns to play with and created tiny egg shaped samples of transparent layerings. I just gasped when I opened the bag and egg creatures were at the bottom.

Joseph and Young have spent part of each day experimenting with the Embellisher and with me have conquered some of the challenges of developing three dimensional work on it. I really like this working in a group thing.

I showed Joseph some of the basics of encaustic work with the little craft irons.

Today my little houses roof is being ripped off by son Brendan and hubby Tim. There is no way I am going to be any where near this place because I will eat off my own arm watching my son on the roof. Hypervigilence kicks in when my kids are on high places with sharp tools. Logic doesn't matter. Doesn't even matte rthat they are all over twenty five! I just have to get out of here!!!

I plan on making yarns with my sewing machine from fabric leftovers and the many spools of polyesther I have laying around. Then I can start to weave when they are finished. I just need to get them fine enough.

Pamela Cambrozia is back working in the studio down the hall so there will be company for tea.

No comments: