Purpose

Material Witness will focus on extreme textile process. Images will be posted here showing the history of my work, new work, developing projects and inspiration.

Saturday, June 7, 2008

Yarns on Paper

Paper Yarn Weaving by Pirkko Karvonen Oil Workers in Alberta

Being part Newfoundlander, I learned to spin a yarn at a young age. Not lies. No one told lies in my family. They embellished, exaggerated, stretched fact. But no lies! Everything in my little world was much larger than life. It was brighter in colour and more melodious.

My partner's people are more of a Calvanistic background than I. They stuck to the facts and played everything down to the point of disappearance. The less colour, the less noise, the least expensive, the most somber were in order in their Spartan world. Quite clearly this presented problems.

What I learned from my Calvanist husband was a lot of making due. I swear he can make anything out of anything and as a result creates a very comfortable life with very little. He straightens nails!. Every piece of wood in the house is used in many different ways and has a very extended life. He has the capability of making useful things out of the most ordinary found objects. Bodger extraordinary! He delights at being faced with deprivation.

I decided a long time ago that he would be the person to bring if stranded on a deserted island. There would be no want for anything!

When my children were young he figured out that the awful, heated water bed was the perfect place to rise the breads he baked for our family every Saturday.
He made treefort beds for the boys and made a tiny cottage in the miniscule back garden at our townhouse that was shipped up island and placed on a tiny inexpensive piece of land we once owned on Savary Island.

I have to watch him very carefully around food stuff. It seems his family didn't believe in food poisoning and really thought it was a North American fetish. I have to sneak old food out of the fridge before he throws it into one of my soups.
I have caught him taking stuff that I have thrown out and putting it back in the fridge. His father tells me that he has an Uncle Leonard gene. Uncle Leonard once served an apple pie that had been sitting so long that a little apple tree had sprouted from the middle!

I thought of them today when I was rolling paper advertisements to make paper yarn. It is gorgeous when done properly. It is possible to make yards and yards from one page of the newspaper. Tim might like to do this. It will keep him out of the fridge!

No comments: