Purpose

Material Witness will focus on extreme textile process. Images will be posted here showing the history of my work, new work, developing projects and inspiration.

Friday, May 23, 2008

Life in a bottle

Shroud for a Rag Collector 2005 (detail) Patricia Chauncey
photo Christine Hatfull 2008
Floor scraps embedded in silk and tulle and stitched

I am going to be spending a whole lot of time trying to find time to get work done this month.
My partner left his job at the beginning of the month and has been occupying more time than I expected. He is more than a dear but he uses time I need on the computer, turns t.v. on during contemplation time and moves my paints.

I am a self confessed art slob. I like to wallow in my materials before something gets made. Things get tossed around to see the effect. I squash things between my fingers. It is a very happy time when the room is swamped with stuff to absorb. Even the tidiest, most definate aspects of the textile work gets done like this.

Other artists work like this. Textile artists seem to be the worst from visiting other studios. The tidiest appear to be the water colour artists. Sculptors just have piles of stuff and mixed media artists get evicted from studios all the time.

I have a full studio and basement full of trunks of cloth, dyes,paints and good stuff. A full library of art books and old craft magazines. I don't think there is anything that I need now with my new encaustic iron. Drowning in riches so to speak. I aspire , however, to work like the Japanese masters. Tiny vertical spaces. Everything in it's place. Spare and sparce. Delicious to observe. Impossible for me.

I know a person will be my art buddy if they walk into my work space and say, "I am in craft heaven." They usually don't last with comments like, " Oh my god! What exploded in here!"

2 comments:

arlee said...

Definitely heaven :} *WHY* does everything have to be neat and stored away? If i can't see it, i lose it and it never gets used!

material witness said...

They, whoever they are, just did a series of studies on messy people and discovered that they are 25% more productive and score many points higher on IQ tests.

Is this desire for neat and tidy boxes a way to dumb us down?