Purpose

Material Witness will focus on extreme textile process. Images will be posted here showing the history of my work, new work, developing projects and inspiration.

Sunday, May 18, 2008

Stuffing Things

Lisa Watmough uses scraps for her furnishings. Her work above

I dreamt last night that I took my enormous piles of fabric scraps and used them as stuffings for pillows and furniture. I sewed clear plastic casings for them so the variety of colours could be seen and left openings so I could take out fabric I wanted to use.

I think this is a good idea considering my trunks, baskets and boxes full of fabric.

Except the plastic coverings are a bit oppresive and sticky in this heat.
There are loads of artists using scrap fabric again. I remember covering couches and chairs in crazy quilt patterns in the early seventies. I really love the scrappy look but it certainly could be dressed up and more polished.

1 comment:

arlee said...

I've always wanted to open a home decor shop like this, with refurbished and very funky furniture and soft furnishings!