Purpose

Material Witness will focus on extreme textile process. Images will be posted here showing the history of my work, new work, developing projects and inspiration.

Monday, November 5, 2007

Awful Warm in Here

Vented full body fetish suit by Wolltraum.de from Germany
Full Suit including Balaclava from Wolltraum.de from Germany

Naughty Peter sent me this hilarious imagery this morning.

The women who knit this imagery are a knitting group from Germany and they range from 26 - 86 years old. They knit everything from "willywarmers" to full "fetisch" costumes.

I have made "willy warmers" since I was a teenager. My Grandfather's naughty girlfriend Mrs. MacGregor showed me how. Mine are crocheted and even more accommodating.

The full body suits remind me of a Canadian prairie childhood. Children were so confined and bundled up in knitted sweaters, snowsuits, mits, scarves and balaclavas that they could barely walk. If you tipped over you might never get up again. Everytime you got fully dressed reminded you that you had to go pee. My poor mom had four children! We were taken outdoors everyday.
I killed myself laughing at the little vent. It just reminded me of long underwear "union suits"
that we also wore in the cold winters. Ours had trap doors.

Now some fetishes really are very practical after all.
Check out the ladies website at http://wolltraum.de/index/html

No comments: