Purpose

Material Witness will focus on extreme textile process. Images will be posted here showing the history of my work, new work, developing projects and inspiration.

Friday, November 23, 2007

Smallies

Small globes without encrustation on Mermaid Cloth Patricia Chauncey 2007

Numen Gallery has just contacted me regarding my smallest globes. Wahoo.
They are still intricate and take a fraction of the time to create. People seem to like them because they are palm sized. Three were stolen at the Crawl.

I sold three larger works last night and they have a good home not far from where I live.
Three larger commisions from the East Side Culture Crawl are still in discussion. They are custom work, more complicated and expensive.

Yesterday I spoke with another documentary t.v. person about my work. I have known her since she was a little girl. Her mother is an amazing activist and academic who encouraged me to think about going back to school to study textiles. I would love to work with her on a project.

Things have gone so well that I fly solo in the studio in January. This decision was made over the last few weeks and solidified through the weekend. The time for cowardice is gone. It is also time to concentrate more on my own work and less on petty interactions.

My studio sublet, Jay Rudolph, has been offered a shared studio on Granville Island at the Silk Weaving Studio. I am thrilled for her because I know this will serve to enhance her craft opportunities and reputation regarding her lace making and weaving. She has just returned from a teaching gig in New York. Self reported as very successful.

Naughty Peter keeps sending me very funny posts this month. He dropped by the Crawl and made me happy. Some people thrive when in difficulty. "Up for the scrap", my Irish granny used to say. The same one used to say, "Better strife than boredom!" Hmmmm?

I just hope we all have less!

Maybe I should call my next large embroidery "Better strife than boredom!"

1 comment:

arlee said...

Congrats P! Sounds like things are going beautifully and lucratively for you. I'm glad for you and that strength has been found inside and out!