Purpose

Material Witness will focus on extreme textile process. Images will be posted here showing the history of my work, new work, developing projects and inspiration.

Monday, December 17, 2007

Snowed In

I got an e-mail from my oldest child telling me that he missed the bus from Toronto to Winnipeg. There is a monstrous storm and he has about 25 hours travelling time ahead.
I am glad he missed the bus. I have been mother pacing all over the floor to-day thinking about him being on the road during a horrible blizzard.

I realized this morning that I will actually be alone for Christmas if my step-son Chris isn't able to get here. Tim leaves Wednesday morning to get back to Ontario to be with his ancient but charming father. Bren has been spirited away by Meghan and her family and step son Steph is with his mother. I haven't been alone at Christmas....ever.

There are lots of invitations but none appeal half as much as a day staying in my cozy bed and crawling out if someone shows up. The food will be prepared and waiting in the fridge and if no one comes it will get eaten later.

Three presents arrived today. Two from Lyn Fabio in Whitehorse. She sent me the most fragrant Christmas Cake and a beautiful hand stitched ornament. They were contained in a package that smelled of hide and wood smoke. It was completely unexpected and delightful.
The other gift was given by Tim. Beautiful, baltic blue- green camel leather curly toed Morrocan shoes. I have lusted after them for ages. They fit like a soft glove. They look like elf shoes. Now they are mine! Now I will have to decorate my boudoir to match and make a new robe.

I will send things away tomorrow. Some made... some bought. My favourite is little china tea sets for my tiny nieces, Kaitlyn, Charlotte and Danielle. I have also given them little Chinese silk pajamas like my own children wore. Instructions state "only to be worn for play".

Every year I try to find one person to get a financial gift with instructions to pay it forward. This has mostly worked with interesting consequences. I have done this for years because someone did it for me when I was really poor and struggling. I was given a fairly substantial amount of money that has not yet been paid forward fully. I still have a few days to find my next hapless victim. I like it because it isn't charity. It is social investment.

So I'll lift up my glass to "Justice Not Charity", have a warm bubble bath and relish my time alone.

2 comments:

Donna said...

I so enjoy Christmas alone, hope you can find the joy too. It is a wonderful time to have a alone time as there wont be many interuptions, and you can flaunt every cultural norm re the food and activities without anyone else being effected!! :-)

material witness said...

You mean like beans and toast? Long hot bubble baths?
Have the most lovely day Quilt Pixie!