Purpose

Material Witness will focus on extreme textile process. Images will be posted here showing the history of my work, new work, developing projects and inspiration.

Monday, April 25, 2011

My Pets.



Photo taken quickly, under the eaves and at risk so the focus isn't great. These little buggers weren't very happy with me. But they are paper wasps and not killer bees!

Experimented with wasp attraction other than a picnic lunch. They have started making a nest exactly where wanted. Let's see how big it gets.

I collect wasp paper. Wasps aren't killed. They leave the nest in the fall.
Other insects use the nest. I once found 7 different insect species using an old nest.

So now that I might know how to attract them it might be possible to control where they construct these beautiful structures.

Wasps are the ultimate paper makers and recyclers. They have tough little jaws. I once saw a nest they had constructed using newsprint and indoor outdoor fake grass carpet!

No comments: