Purpose

Material Witness will focus on extreme textile process. Images will be posted here showing the history of my work, new work, developing projects and inspiration.

Friday, July 11, 2008

Angoraphobia




I have this little problem.
I love angora yarns but I am deathly afraid of the prices.

I had a pretty little angora rabbit a few years ago and the relationship we had was very pleasant. He ate all my vegie scraps and loved stale bread. I loved pluck petting him for his wool.
He was pure white and had a very long, dense coat which is prized in Angora breeders.

I could drop spin his wool and make fuzzy hats and slippers when his wool was mixed with a lamb's wool.

Angoras seem like the perfect addition to an urban farm. They make wool and fertilizer. They eat food scraps and they hardly smell. They are gentle and pleasant company. They even cut the grass.

I read today that someone made a nice paper out of rhino dung and I thought it would be easier to make it from rabbit droppings. Chasing Rino's sounds a little daunting. Rabbits just poo everywhere. There even might be a way to collect their urine for uric acid for dye mordants.
Collecting Rhino urine just sounds dangerous!

Rabbits are one of those zero waste animals in France. I just don't know if I could chew on something I was that intimate with. Perhaps with extra garlic and a good red wine sauce.

No comments: