Purpose

Material Witness will focus on extreme textile process. Images will be posted here showing the history of my work, new work, developing projects and inspiration.

Thursday, July 24, 2008

Playing in the Muck

Local papers for mache and scrapbooks These ones are free. Photo Christine Hatfull 2008
Paper Mache and rust component pieces. Patinated, cast, painted and heat processed.
Patricia Chauncey 2008 photograph Christine Hatfull
Tyvek and paper mache urchins Lost Coast Series Patricia Chauncey 2008
Photgraph Christine Hatfull
I wonder if playing in muck is one of our most natural pleasures.

Every day this week I have been up to my nostrils in paste made from flour and water and detritus from my house. Newspaper clippings, torn magazine bits, household fliers, old dried plant material and thready stuff.

One pile of stuff gets slapped on another pile of stuff. Sometimes it just turns into a lovely thick paper to play with further and sometimes it just turns into a little collage or card or a component for other foolings.

Following and keeping to a decision not to buy anything new was part of my decision to play with the fundamental. So was a studio too hot to go into and and not feeling well.

When I was little and not feeling well my grandfather or my mom would set me up with crayons, flour glue, scissors and old magazines. The very best to get was the old Eaton's catalogue!
I could check out the naughty bits in the underwear section and turn naughty bits into naughty parts for naughty people. Naughty child! Then I would proceed to cover up my sins with cut outs for clothing etc.

If the day was not interrupted by my lump of brothers or a dreaded Doctor's appointment, towns of people would be made. Towns would be made if there were boxes. Flower gardens and trees and beautiful paintings for the walls. All of this would be set up on the bed and the light green chenille bedspread would be urned into farms. I had a nasty habit of picking out the chenille because they looked like cabbages. My bedspreads would have nude areas. Harvested to the foundation cloth.

My grandfather taught me to sew on one of those days. Sometimes by "accident" I would sew on of my creations to the patchy bedspread.

My son Dane made movies when he was home sick. He made animated and articulated creatures and put them in tidy boxes and would amuse himself for months with them. He would make home made play dough sets and monsters and would be very happy in bed.

I have a theory that the normally dreaded "time out" only works as a reward for very imaginative children. They don't suffer at all from being removed from the crowd. They sing to themselves and invent whole environments. In "privacy".

Playdough Recipe

1 cup of flour
2t cream of tartar
1/2 cup salt
1 cup water
1T vegetable oil (probably not peanut or olive)
food colouring or kool aid to colour'

Combine the salt flour and cream of tartar in a pot. Put the water oil and food colouring or drink mix (without sugar) into another bowl. Slowly pour the wet into the dry stirring constantly.
Cook over a medium heat for 3 monutes while continuing to stir until the goo pulls away from the sides of the pot. Put somewhere to cool and when cool enough knead it until smooth.
Put it in plastic containers with lids and put in the fridge. It should last for awhile.


Mom's Play Clay

! c. cornstartch
1 c. baking soda
1 1/4 c. cold water

Mix all the ingredients in a saucepan over medium heat. Stir constantly for about 4 or 5 minutes until it thickens to the consistency of mashed potaters.
Cool on a plate and put into covered containers.

This clay is great to paint when dry. It drys in about two days. I still have stuff my kids made years ago!

Goo Glue

1 part flour
2 parts water
1 t. salt

Dump one into the other and stir until lumps are gone. The salt helps prevent molds from forming. To thicken add more flour. To thin add more water.

Make great substantial paper for scrap books using newspaper sheets glued together. Perfect for foundations for other projects. The same can be done with office paper or advertisement fliers.
Use a paper punch and sew books together for prolific little artists. No money needed for this scrap book!

No comments: