Purpose

Material Witness will focus on extreme textile process. Images will be posted here showing the history of my work, new work, developing projects and inspiration.

Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Hoo Doo Canyons

Photo of Drumhellar Hoo Doos taken by Arlee Barr sometime this weekend.
Stolen with shame by Patricia Chauncey

I didn't always live here in this large city by the sea. I lived in Quebec as a little child and had the advantage of a double tongue. One French and one English.

I spent most of my childhood in Alberta. Living in little places where I could dig in the earth and find the past. Where I walked with my Grandmother and Great Grandmother on land that they knew and taught me.

I read Arlee Barr's blog tonight and am delighted that she has discovered my childhood landscape and playground. I learned my prairie eyes there and could see subtle differences in the landscape. How happy I was to see the little flowers and fragile lillies and wild strawberries.

And the rocks!
Arlee Barr provides me with comfort and inspiration nearly every day. She is a prolific artist with an incredible vocabulary of experimental techniques.
Check out her blog for more pictures of my childhood environment and for her brilliant and exuberant experiments!
http://arleebarr.squarespace.com/designjournal/

1 comment:

arlee said...

Aw, shucks, P! Thanks for the BlogLove :}

I really LOVE that area--something about sub-desert and vasty grey places really speaks to me---don't know why since i was actually raised in a swampy Ontario location..........