Purpose

Material Witness will focus on extreme textile process. Images will be posted here showing the history of my work, new work, developing projects and inspiration.

Monday, September 17, 2007

"When This You See Remember Me"

Gut Sampler Bison Teeth 2005
Charles Wilson and Patricia Chauncey


Gut Sampler Quail Wishbones 2005
Charles Wilson and Patricia Chauncey

The sampler show "When This You See Remember Me" happened at Britannia Library Gallery about two years ago. It was curated by Mary Lou Trinkwon and was an inspiring show to take part in. The samplers were all extremely different and materials were of the artists choosing.

Charles Wilson collaborated with me on this series. The eight collages are made from gut mache and laminate a series of objects related to my illness and healing. One actually contains my radiated breast skin and staples from my masectomy. Others include rose petals, surgical scissors and a spawning salmon jaw. The embroidery hoops are actually wood which was laminated and rusted. All were encased in a glass casket and shown in a window.
I was very ill when I made this having just finished radiation and chemotherapy. The radiation had missed it's mark and hit my lungs which meant living on really heavy drugs for about a year. Charles was my studio assistant and practicum student at that time. He makes art about living as someone who is H.I.V. positive.
Both of us are doing amazingly well considering.

No comments: