Purpose

Material Witness will focus on extreme textile process. Images will be posted here showing the history of my work, new work, developing projects and inspiration.

Sunday, September 23, 2007

Love Rocks


Grandfather's Story (Collection of 12 in cage)
Bee's wax embeddings, surface design, embroidery, embellishment, needle lace, patination
Patricia Chauncey

Why would anyone consider a diamond to be a stone that represented love?

Diamonds are so cold and mechanical. I respond far more to the honey and warmth of amber. It has so much more to do with erotic sensibilities. The touch is warm and slick. The colour is visceral and of the body. It is petrified sap and honey telling stories of bees and life force. Little wings float in it helplessly entrapped because of a compulsion to the sweetness. I find it irresistable.

Tim brought me a large Polish amber pendant and earrings from the Baltic Sea. He knows what it is I like.

No comments: