Purpose

Material Witness will focus on extreme textile process. Images will be posted here showing the history of my work, new work, developing projects and inspiration.

Monday, October 29, 2007

After Glow

I am not sure if this is after glow or fever.

Celine and Scott organized the show beautifully. Not bad at all for a first try! Not bad for a one hundredth try!

Many different kinds of people attended the Wonderland opening. There were only a few textile people there because of the Maiwa Wrap party. The majority of attendees came from other parts of the art world and community. That was quite exciting for me.

There were a group of people who attended who have been working with the Dalai Lama.
I don't think I have ever had robed Tibetan Buddist monks attend one of my shows before.
The most fascinating conversation I have ever had was with a man from Tibet named Chi Ching.
He wanted to know why I named the work "Wonderland" after Disney. He hadn't heard of Alice in Wonderland by Lewis Carroll. Trying to explain something that absurd to someone who thinks about deep meaning everyday was a challenge. The film maker Janice Wong gave me a hand. Translating absurdity between cultures is very revealing.

Chi Ching was beyond cool. He had responses to the explanations that really made me have to stretch. He immediately understood that the English are a strange. He also got the opium connections. He certainly understood absurdity and changed perceptions.

I got plenty of encouragement and inspiring comments regarding the work. One very lovely comment came from James, photographer artist from Seattle, who photographs art all the time. He described himself as rather jaded and hard to amaze. He said he was amazed by my work.

People liked playing with the looking glasses and feeling the sample books. They actually spent time reading the artist and curatorial statements. They took the cards and invited me to play.
They told me about the work they did.

What more should I ask?

I am inviting textile people to attend next Saturday between 2-4. at the Numen Gallery 1058 Mainland Street Vancouver.

Now I have to get back to work on the CSI challenge pieces so I can mail them off before deadline in two days! Hope I make it.

3 comments:

arlee said...

Better than sex with that glow by the sounds of it ! :} Good on ya! Glad you had a successful opening and some stimulated and stimulating responses.

material witness said...

Better than sex?

Not quite... but very, very nice!

Donna said...

sounds like it was received as well as could be. Congrats.