Purpose

Material Witness will focus on extreme textile process. Images will be posted here showing the history of my work, new work, developing projects and inspiration.

Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Process

Silk worm Cocoons

I have spent the day locked in process.
Masked and armoured I managed to get a huge chunk of work knocked off.


It was important to experiment today so the new industrial foam was pulled out and sprayed into a paper mache globe. Not successful and the weather was very moist so it took a long time to set. Not pleasing. The day was saved by the arrival of wild silk rovings, cocoons and new experimental mediums.

There is a way to make silk paper without the environmental challenge it now holds.
Cornstarch, spray starch and rice starch are all supposed to work. The gut will be even better.

I cut into cocoons and they each held a tiny metamorphic monster. The sericin, the sticky stuff that harden the cocoons, might be able to be reconstituted if they are washed and the fluid left to evapourate.

I am still sick and staying in the mask is awful. The brain fuzz of yesterday reminded me why I am such a fanatic about them. So did Arlee Barr.

Tomorrow I will try making pods and cocoons from it and finish another globe.

No comments: