Purpose

Material Witness will focus on extreme textile process. Images will be posted here showing the history of my work, new work, developing projects and inspiration.

Thursday, October 18, 2007

For Granted.

When Tim and I had been living together for a while he gave me what he considered the "nicest" compliment. He said lovingly," I just love that I can take you for granted."

I was floored and furious. He was shocked. He explained that he trusted me more fully than anyone he had ever trusted and he didn't have to think about what it was I wanted or needed.

He was met for weeks with a cold, edgier version of myself. It took me years to explain why that wasn't a compliment.

Today I looked around the house. It is piled with art making, dirty dishes, piles of newspapers and lost relatives. There are burnt globes on the bed beside unfolded laundry. My hair hasn't been combed and my jeans are spattered with unidentiable goop. My nose is running and I am grumpy and feverish.

I do, however, have all art projects in good order. They are blossoming in this mess. Bone like fossilized structures that seem to belong here. Two shows, not one, are getting close to ready.

Tonight when he comes home, bearing art supplies and supper and scrapes off the couch so he can sit down after his own long day, I will let him know that " I just love him because I can take him for granted."

I finally got it!

3 comments:

arlee said...

That is actually one of the BEST love stories i have ever been told!! My Greyman is as expressive also :}

Donna said...

may take a long time to get it, but sounds like you've both put in the time and work so you can :-)

material witness said...

Other "compliments" have included:
"I just love a woman with jowls"
He swears he meant cheek bones