Purpose

Material Witness will focus on extreme textile process. Images will be posted here showing the history of my work, new work, developing projects and inspiration.

Monday, October 1, 2007

New Boots

My Brand New Boots from Torrid

I am a boot woman. I have worn them since chidhood and was given my first pair of red cowboy boots. Gumboots and Wellys were worn even when it didn't rain. White Go-Go boots were a present for my 14th birthday. I bought two pairs of boots when I got my first serious paycheck after graduating from my Rehabilitation Councelling courses with the University of Calgary/ Vocational Rehabilitation and Research Institute. One pair was a lace up granny boot from Spain made from the softest turquoise-teal suede. They laced up to my thighs and took about an hour to get on. The second pair was a stompin' knee high army boot made from buttery goat skin from Morocco. They were black, substantial and lasted about 15 years with serious use until Doc Marten's came along.

I have had red , white, blue , brown, lizard, platform, stiletto, cocktail, and very high top red sneakers.

Today I got new boots from California. They are tall, black and either riding boots or pirate boots depending on the angle. The only sensible thing about them is the 1 inch heel. They take one minute to put on and come off, without help, in another minute! But they aren't coming off today...

2 comments:

arlee said...

GAWD those are BOOTS :} I worked in a shoe store in my 20's and had TONS of boots and smaller tons of shoes. Mow i live in runners, but the boots come out when i pretend i'm an adult and get dressed up :}

material witness said...

Total envy!
In my next life I will work in a shoe store...
Shameful confession... I spend most of my time in silly red garden clogs. They are plastic and I can splash fibre mess all over them.