Purpose

Material Witness will focus on extreme textile process. Images will be posted here showing the history of my work, new work, developing projects and inspiration.

Wednesday, August 1, 2007

My Mother




My mother, Katy, is currently charging acroos Canada in a little Honda with three French women.This is something to celebrate because she has the guts to travel in the most spontaneous way. She calls me every three days to worry me. She calls me because she is worried that I am not worrying about her.

Her last phone call came from a phone booth in Montreal. My mother and I were both born in Montreal. She was raised there and I was half raised there and half raised in the prairies. Today she seperated from her friends because they chose to go to mass and she chose to go look for her old home. She was more than wistful.

My mother has a serious health problem and she doesn't let it get her down at all. Unlike me.
I am fully capable of moaning and groaning at a little hangnail and I have survived cancer. I haven't done that quietly. My mother is a master martyr and can suffer in the gravest silence.

My mother's best friend is my"Aunt Ruth". "Aunt Ruth" called me tonight because she was worried about my mother. She thought she would hear from Katy today and so did I.

All I know is that my mother and I both have meltdowns with people we travel with occassionally. It is even worse when we travel together. I just hope she is behaving herself and that she realizes that four women in a Honda are a frightening crowd.

No comments: